On a weekend where it was mixed set of results for all north clare football teams involved in the football championship Ballyvaughan-Fanore ground out a result and showed they are contenders for the junior a football title by defeating Killimer by 1:10 to 1:07, like other past two previous encounters it was billed before throw in to be a 50/50, but history was in the past as in 2018 Killimer stormed to victory and in 2019 Ballyvaughan-Fanore got the upper hand in the replay in Ennistymon. A tough encounter against opposition we are well acquainted with, this being the 3rd year in a row we've met. Two years ago, they blitzed us and deservedly put us to the sword. Last year we dominated but still required late scores to snatch a draw, controversially extra time wasn't played and both clubs tethered on the edge of disqualification before a replay was agreed. One of the best performances of recent years by Ballyvaughan-Fanore saw us prevail comfortably in the replay.

This game was attended by a select few who were very fortunate to get a ticket due to the current regulations of Covid 19.

Without the services of the injured James Hynes Ballyvaughan-Fanore lined with Captain for the day James Howard and Cormac McGann at midfield, as a host of other players also were also side lined suffering injuries that had not cleared up.

Kilmurry Ibricane's Michael Talty was the referee in charge and his officials, and from the throw in Killimer charged down the field and had the ball in the net, this must be contender from the quickest goal in junior a's football history. It did not take long for Ballyvaughan-Fanore to find the rhythm, and almost straight away Jonah Culligan had a point from play, two wides from close range were also registered in a short time frame also before that score came. Adrian Nilan scored from a close in free to make it one goal to 0:02 and then Killimer had a point from a free close in on nine minutes. Killimer kept pressing for early scores as did Ballyvaughan-Fanore but the opposition did strike next with a wide from close range and the point number two with eleven minutes on the clock. Jonah Culligan then had the final say of the first quarter with a point from a free and a crucial goal scored just on the call for the water break leaving the score 1:03 to 1:02 for Ballyvaughan-Fanore.

The second quarter saw both teams scoring two points apiece, Adrian Nilan from play and John McCormack from a mark converted, while Killimer had a free and a point from play, leaving the half time score Ballyvaughan-Fanore 1:05 Killimer 1:04, in that period also Ballyvaughan-Fanore kicked three wides all from scoreable positions.

The third quarter was totally dominated by Ballyvaughan-Fanore, Adrian Nilan once again accurately converted a free, shortly after that Cian Walsh was introduced as a sub to replace John Mooney Hynes, Killimer had wide number three kicked followed by a wide and a point from play and a free also by Jonah Culligan to stretch the lead to 1:08 to 1:05 on the short whistle for water break number two.

The final quarter saw John McCormack kick a wide from another mark he obtained, Jonah Culligan then scored from play to put four points between the sides, Killimer had a good spell of possession but in that period the could only register two wides from play with a score also, turnovers were rampant all through this game, Kieran Casey's shot went wide from play, Adrian Nilan accurately again slotted over a free from close to put four between the sides, a bit of action near the Ballyvaughan-Fanore goal was cause for concern but all Killimer could get was a point from play, in the nervous minutes before hand Mark Walsh put in a crucial double block to deny Killimer a goal, Ballyvaughan-Fanore held on to win on a score line of 1:10 to 1:07.

Down but not out Killimer go in to the draw again for their second chance in this different structured junior a football championship as there are uneven numbers of participants, bye's given, looser groups, winners' groups and second chances also, round three will be drawn for which Ballyvaughan-Fanore will have to sit out the next round of fixtures played and wait to see who their opposition will be in the quarter final knock out game in a few weeks time.

Damien McNamara Kieran Casey Mark Walsh Neil Walsh Phelim Kyne Philip Queally Ian Queally James Howard (C) Cormac McGann John Mooney Hynes Adrian Nilan (0:04)(3f) John McCormack (0:01)(1f)(mark) Jonah Culligan (1:05)(2f) Ronan Fahy


Cian Walsh John Martyn Scion Flanagan Joseph Flanagan

Ballyvaughan-Fanore Gaa Club on Facebook

Facebook Page Please click the link on the left to launch.