Intermediate Football Championship Relegation Final Replay.

Sunday 25th September 2011

Played @ Ennistymon

Kilfenora 1:14    Ballyvaughan 3:05                   

Match Official :- Pat Cosgrove ( Corofin )

The replay of this intermediate football relegation play off had its twists and turns. The story goes that replays are never as good as the drawn games, is often true but in this case may be not or if you wanted to break it down in to two halves, it might make better reading and understanding for all in sundry.

Ballyvaughan’s hopes of survival and staying in the intermediate football grade for 2012 faded and blew out like a candle in the wind minute by minute and by the time of the final whistle had sounded as they failed to score in the second half until injury time playing in to a gael force wind in Ennistymon, as the first half was so different playing with the wind racking up 3 goals in the process including 4 points, while Kilfenora scored 5 Pts.

Maybe it’s how Kilfenora played better in to the wind, comparing score lines on this statistic Ballyvaughan got 1 point and Kilfenora scored 5, this would be the case.

Kilfenora opened there account as early as the second minute with a free from 30 yards from Killan Malone, Malone then extended his personal tally with a second free leaving the score 2 pts to 0 for Kilfenora. Jason Connole had his first of 2 points from play before Adrian Nilan opened his and Ballyvaughan’s account when he kicked a long range point from play.

The score was reading Kilfenora 3, Ballyvaughan 1 then the drama started to unfold, as a brace of goals came in quick succession from the Mahon brothers Donnacha and Lorcan finding the net, the long ball deliveries being key to these scores , the first half ended with a good few scores Tomas Francis scored 2 from play and Adrian Nilan added the third goal and kicked a second point from play, while Jason Connole had his second from play and Killian Malone had the last say with a 3rd pointed free to close out the half.

In the first half Ballyvaughan also kicked 5 wides in a row and also missed 2 more goal chances mainly due to the good goalkeeping of Liam Keane in the Kilfenora goal.

The first score of the second half was for Kilfenora scored by Austin Kelly from play, this was then followed by 8 more unanswered points Aidan Malone (2), Killian Malone (4), and Austin Kelly (2). In this time the Kilfenora defense stood up to the Ballyvaughan attack for which a visit inside the Kilfenora 21 yard line was at a minimum.

When the score line was 0:12 to 3:04 Killian Malone had a goal for Kilfenora to push them ahead again, the first time in nearly forty minutes. Just before that a kick out went skew ways and Kilfenora had added there 12th point from close range scored by Austin Kelly. Two more converted frees by Killian Malone stretched Kilfenora’s lead to 4. John McCormack then kicked Ballyvaughan’s one and only point from play deep in to injury time to reduce the gap down to 3 but time had ran out.



Adrian Nilan (1:02) Donnacha Mahon (1:00) Lorcan Mahon (1:00) Tomas Francis (0:02) and John McCormack (0:01).


Killian Malone (1:07) 7 frees 1 goal (play), Austin Kelly (0:03) 3 play Jason Connole (0:02) 2 play, Aidan Malone (0:02) 2 play.


Liam Keane, Shane Long, James Keane, Diarmuid Nagle. M.J Malone, Cathal Nagle, Paudie Ireland. Jonathan O’Gorman and Pat Connole Jason Connole, Aidan Malone, Paul Reddan. Killian Malone, Austin Kelly, Liam O’Brien.


Damien McNamara. Phelim Kyne, Sean Namara, Mark O’Loughlin Mark Walsh, Kieran Casey, Cian Walsh. Raymond Casey & Jamie Hynes. Adrian Nilan, John McCormack, Lorcan Mahon. Tomas Francis, Donnacha Mahon, Killan Mahon.


Kevin Carrucan for Killian Mahon (40mins)